We have never made a gingerbread house with the kids because they are allergic to gingerbread and royal icing. However, we got the idea from PBS Kids to use graham crackers. The recipe called for cream of tartar in the icing, but we just added some powdered sugar instead and it worked out just fine. I know you aren't meant to eat the house, but trust me, there was a lot of finger licking and candy sneaking going on. The kids loved it!
Construction begins
Phase one complete
Phase 2- another section of roof was added along with some landscaping
Phase 3- put up shingles, doors, and windows
The completed project! Next time we are going to frost that inside graham cracker, but once the roof was stable I wasn't about to try to frost the inside.
2 comments:
Hi there! I'm the Site Manager for Food2.com (owned by the Food Network). We're currently holding a gingerbread photo contest, and scouring the web for people who are making them so we can tell them all about it. The info is here: http://www.food2.com/challenges/gingerbread-housing-crisis-ii. All you have to do is upload a photo for the chance to win prizes (and bragging rights).
I love the idea to do it with graham crackers. Very cool.
Post a Comment