There has been a baby boom among our friends this year and I have been waiting for Evie to start asking lots of questions about it. We have three birth announcements on our refrigerator right now and Evie loves to look at the baby pictures and ask what their names are. She is obsessed with whether or not baby Jackson has a bear. I think we will be getting him one for Christmas, just so she is absolutely sure he has his own bear.
She saw all the stuff for my friend Lydia's baby shower and wanted to go through it. I told her that was for Ms.Lydia and that she was having a baby. Evie said, "Did she name him William?" I told her, "William is already here, but they are having a new baby and she is still in Ms.Lydia's belly." Evie just stared at me for a few seconds. I braced myself for questions about the baby being in the belly, how it got in, how it is going to get out. Instead, here is the conversation we had. What are they going to name him? They are going to name her Sophie. {Long pause}Does Soapy have a dress? Yes. What color is it? I don't know because she can't wear her dresses yet. Does she have a purple dress? She probably has one in her closet. I like dresses. My dress is blue today. Can she come play in our sandbox? When she gets bigger. Does William have to share with Soapy? Yes, because she is his sister. Okay.
If you have never sat down with a three year old and had a long conversation, you should try it sometime. The way their little minds work is so fascinating. They see the world in such a simple, sweet way.
1 comment:
Does William have to share? I'm not so sure that would classify in the sweet category.........but it's amazing that she made that connection.
Post a Comment