It's 13 degrees outside, the kids are watching Playhouse Disney with runny noses, and I am catching up on Facebook and reading my favorite blogs. Some recent conversations about baby names and a blog by my friend Abe about his name led me to google our little girl's name this morning. In 2003 we could barely find any information on the name we had chosen, but today Google gave me 3,110,000 results.
We get asked about Evie's name a lot. The biggest one is what is her name? Her given name is Evie. Phil wanted to name her Evelyn Marie and call her Evie. I wasn't a fan of either name, but loved the nickname, so we compromised by using Evie and I got my pick as her middle name, Grace. We've met little girls named Evan and Evelyn with Evie as a nickname. The kids' cardiologist is Yvonne and her nickname was Evie when she was little. One of the guys in the lab at Children's Hospital has a daughter name Evangeline that he calls Evie. We have yet to meet another person with the name Evie. That may soon change however. According to thinkbabynames.com Evie is in the US top 1000 girls names this year for the first time since 1929. It is also gaining popularity in England, Scotland, and Australia. It was the number 15 top name in England last year.
I was trying to figure out why Evie came out of nowhere to suddenly be so popular in the UK, and Wikipedia found me this little gem. A song originally written and performed in the 1960's by Stevie Wright.
It was very interesting to find all these things online about "Evie." It is such a big deal to choose a name when you are expecting, but once the little one arrives and is given a name it no longer seems so important. We love our daughter's name, think it suits her very well, and hope she likes it as she grows up!
1 comment:
Thanks for the plug, Janet! :) I love the name, Evie, and I'm sure she will appreciate it one day too. I hope you all have a fantastic holiday...and stay warm! The temp was 0 degrees when I walked 5 blocks to the subway..and it was a -30 windchill. Gosh..will June ever get here?? :)
Post a Comment